Monday 9 June 2008

Du fond de quelle douleur allait-il trouver cette capacité illimitée de créer?

In English: "From the depth of which pain would he find this unlimited capacity of creating?"
This is a sentence by Proust. I found it on the blog of a philosophy teacher: http://hansen-love.blogspot.com/. Actually I like to read what she is writing from time to time, it kind of changes of what I'm thinking about normally. Most of the time, it is short quotations like this one. Simple sentences which seem clear and even obvious sometimes but which can arise a lot of thoughts.
I chose this one today because it echoes my feelings. I used to draw a lot and I had stopped since I was always busy. I draw again since 2 or 3 days now. And it is my way of creating. When I'm drawing, I'm automatically thinking of my drawings as creation because it comes out of me. I reproduce an image I keep in my head most of the times but by making it material, I create it. Anyway. I don't totally agree with Proust. Pain is surely a good incentive to create. To evacuate the pain, you'll try to draw, to write anything. However pain isn't always good for creation. It depends of the kind of pain you're feeling.
If the pain is related to feelings, I will create far more easily than if it is a physical pain. For instance, I couldn't draw for a long time because either I was too tired or because I felt depressed. And each time I tried something, it was wrong. I think we can create related to pain but it will depend on its nature.
Artwork by Lolita Jungle (lolitajungle.com)

No comments: